Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Personal Journal 339: Reading Reaction #2

How to Read Like a Writer:
This was a very interesting passage to read. I feel as though we are so used to hearing that we must read and then reflect on what we read, but here the author is stating that we can actually learn different writing styles and adopt them to our own style of writing to help us grow as writers. Instead of reading to understand ideas, we can actually just read to understand a piece of writing. I personally feel like I can use this way of thinking often. To get inside the authors head and analyze their writing style can help me understand different types of techniques and improve my own writing style. This would be a completely new way for me to read because I’m very used to the traditional reading and analyzing styles. I think it might be challenging just because I’m so used to getting inside the authors head looking for ideas on their writing but not to actually understand why the wrote something the way they did. I’m excited to give the RLW a try!


Pay Attention:
In this Chapter when Rubin describes how when she multitask it takes her away from present experiences I instantly thought how every time I’m at dinner or even just simply talking with friends, there is always the rude interruption of the cell phone. I am also extremely guilty of over using this multi-tasking device. Reading this chapter was definitely a friendly reminder to be more present with the people in our lives. Part of creating mindfulness is to stop just going through the motions of your day and to really take time and be aware of your actions. To me, this is a very important thing that I'm going to incorporate more of in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment