Sunday, July 12, 2015

About me

Hi there,

       Writing these "about me's" are always kind of awkward, so bare with me. I'm Niki, I'm a city girl from Las Vegas, NV and no I didn't grow up in a hotel and unfortunately my mom is not a showgirl. I grew up in a little suburban community about 20min off of the strip, called Summerlin. I moved to Santa Barbara 3 years ago on a whim and haven't regretted that decision once. Moving to a small beach town and not knowing a single person was the kind of fresh start I craved. I loved growing up in Vegas, but the heat definitely limited my outdoor options. Now I'm outside every chance I get whether it be sun bathing on the beach, hiking, or paddle boarding; it all beats the 110 plus heat in Vegas during the summer months.
      I attended SBCC for the past 3 years, and I had no idea what I wanted to do my first year there. It wasn't until spring semester of my second year when I took Intercultural Communications with Tina Kistler (A professor also at Antioch) that I truly started to realize what direction I wanted to head into. I fell in love with the course and her teaching style as well. It was definitely a "kill-two-birds-with-one-stone" situation because her class lead me to discover my concentration in the Communications field and also helped me find Antioch. My interests are now in radio, PR, and mass media. Four years ago, I was on a completely different track with a completely different mindset so it's really amazing to see how far I've come and I'm excited to see what the future has in store for me as far as my personal and professional life. 
       Some other things that interest me are food and traveling. 
Food has always played a huge part in my life because my dad is a chef, so growing up, I would always cook and bake with him. It wasn't until I moved to Santa Barbara that I fell in love with Hippocrates concept of, “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Living in Santa Barbara has taught me how to live a healthy lifestyle and treat my body with respect. I've been vegetarian for the 3 years I've lived here, and that change alone has had such an astonishing impact on my body, mind, and soul. I'm hoping I can somehow find a way to incorporate my passion for healthy cooking with my concentration. During my free time, I'm always researching health food articles or looking up new recipes and having all my friends and roommates try my new creations. Cooking is only fun for me if I get to share it with others, so I'm sure at some point I will be bringing my healthy spin on cupcakes or cookies into class! 
      One thing that every college graduate has shared with me is that studying abroad is an amazing experience, and those who weren't presented with the opportunity of studying abroad have really regretted it. So, the pressure is on with this being my last year and all. I'm looking into some study abroad programs for spring, but if all else fails my big plans for post-graduating are to go backpacking through Europe with my mom. 

    Though this is just a tiny bit about myself, I hope you guys got an idea of my interests and hobbies. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone this semester, and I wish everyone the very best of luck!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about you! I know there is always some preconceived notions about Vegas, I have been there once and really enjoyed it. I'm sure living there is a different story. I moved to Santa Barbara as well because I wanted a change of pace and a new start for college. I have not once regretted my decision in being here, it has really made me a happier and more positive person! It is so easy to stay healthy, fit and eat right here because there are so many amazing opportunities and places to eat. I think that Antioch is a great place to get a bachelor's degree, and I hope that it brings you much success in the future. I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Las Vegas in the summer, no thank you! I cant say I blame you for wanting to get out of the dessert heat. Even better that you chose Santa Barbara and don't regret your decision.

    I am also a vegetarian and love food. Actually I recently have started making my own bread, cheese, Kombucha, and often use vegetables from my current garden. I am not super skilled in any of the above mentioned, but I like to "Nerd out" from time to time. Why "Radio, PR and mass media"? What is the underlying commonality you enjoy about those careers?
    You mentioned travel. Where might you recommend worth visiting? Travel is so much fun and I intend on doing more in the near future. Thanks for sharing a tad of your backstory, I look forward to getting to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Niki,

    I so appreciated having the opportunity to be your partner during the “get to know you” exercise in class. You have a sweet spirit and I so honor your courage in making the decision to move to Santa Barbara! Your blog looks great, maybe you could give me some pointers, it took me a few days to figure out how to get it started, then another day to figure out my blog address and how to find all of my classmates. So I have already learned a great deal! I look forward to getting to know you better. Thank you for your lovely share! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Thank you for sharing! your post was very easy to read and i enjoyed reading it. Thats awesome that you love to cook! i wish i made that time in my day to day to plan out my meals. I really do believe in a healthy life style and that FOOD IS MEDICINE! anyways, great job on your blog! see you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're blog is so easy to read, thank you for sharing some of your life with us. I am so happy that you have found a place that has cleansed your soul and helped you create and find the life that you wanted. I know that a new start can be intimidating and scary, but somehow those big life changes helps to create the most positive situations once they begin to unfold. I'm sure that one day you will figure out how to mold your two main passions together in a way that is just right for you. I wish you the best of luck in your life and truly do look forward to getting to know you better in class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole,

    I liked reading your blog :) And for feeling somewhat awkward about writing about yourself I actually think you did really well! It is great to read how many benefits it has given you by moving to santa barbara, and even though it could be pretty scary moving to a new place where you dont know anyone, fortunately you've enjoyed it to the fullest so far. Also I'm happy you figured out what you want to do in life, as I can really relate to the fact that life can bring you to so many paths sometimes its hard to choose which one to follow. How lucky are you to have your dad as a chef, I have an uncle who is also a chef and I just love how he always prepares the most delicious meals for me! Hopefully us all can definitely have a taste sometimes of your cooking/baking experience! May Santa Barbara and life treat you with many more great things!

    Angelica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Niki,

    I totally agree with you the “about me” posts are always kind of awkward. I feel like I never know what to write about myself, but I have to say that you did a really good job with your post. If you get the chance to study abroad I definitively think you should take that chance you would not regret it. Have you thought about where you would want to study? I’m already looking forward to taste those cupcakes or cookies haha. I look forward to follow your blog and get to know you some more.

    Angelica

    ReplyDelete