Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Academic Writing: Reading Reaction

How to Read Like Writer:
As I began reading this passage, I quickly remembered and I had read this a couple weeks prior for the Personal Journal class. I went ahead and read it again anyways because it’s always good to refresh your memory and possible gain a different perspective.

Reading this the second time I tried to focus in on something that maybe didn’t stand out to me a couple of weeks ago.  Personally, I always just dive right into whatever I’m reading, it never really occurred to me to ask question about what I’m reading before I even start. It’s important to ask these questions to create awareness of the writer’s style and whom they might be trying to target, also to be more inquisitive of what the reading actually is. 

Ch 11 I take your Point — Entering Class Discussions:
I hadn’t realized this before but I am totally guilty of—during class discussions—stating what is on my mind instead of connecting with what the person before me had said. It’s always out of eagerness because I lose train of thought quite often.

 After reading Chapter 11 of They Say, I Say It has already created me to become more mindful of my bad habits. Class discussions are so valuable and I have personally gained new aspects from my peers during these discussions so reading this section I feel like will help me become more attributing throughout these dialogues.

Ch 9Ain’t So/Is Not:
Its easy to struggle with finding your own voice while also writing academically (or at least it is for me) this chapter really opened my eyes to a whole new style of writing. I liked how this passage noted that informal writing sometimes could help you better connect with the reader. I agree with this 100%. 

When you find something in a reading that you can easily relate and understand it makes you feel more connected and leaves you with a desire to read more.

1 comment:

  1. Nikki,

    I love your writing style! I feel like you took the advice from the last reading. I felt like I could better connect with your writing and in a sense it felt like I was actually talking to you. Your bubbly personality I believe shines through in your writing. I also felt like I found different key sentences that I could relate to throughout your blog, just another tool you have in your belt to be a better academic writer ☺(that should be a smiley face).

    I know this doesn't classify as discussing your writing, but a side note... I don't believe that you only stating what is on your mind instead of connecting with what the person before you had said. I think that you at least acknowledge what the person before you said, and I appreciate that!

    In regards to the first reading that you discussed, I think that a lot of people really dive right into whatever they are reading and don't chose to sit back, analyze and really question the authors choses. After reading the reading I agree with you in the sense that it is very important to ask questions! I think we all need to take a step back and really analyze the texts.

    p.s. I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete